Today's the day that Wiggins is supposed to be out to give an estimate for removing the urine stains (left by the raccoon in May) from my wood floors. I thought since they were coming out at 10, I'd just take a few hours leave from work so that I could do a few chores around here while waiting . . . that is, until the phone rang @ 8:09. It was Anne. She wanted to know if I could watch my darlings while she ran out to the Doc-in-a-Box (Tim was already at the Box with his cold) 'cause she thought she was really sick with something. She said the babies would be ready for their nap time around 9 and that Tim would be home just about that time. What's a Dearie to do? I dunno, but a mother never leaves her child in the lurch so I grabbed my purse and keys and hauled it to 107.
I got to the house at 8:17. Avery and Riggs were busy viewing Baby Einstein relaxing in their respective boppies on their pallet. Not so much as a whimper from them when Mommie rushed off to the Doc!! Riggs, as I've come to learn, needs no encouragement to smile; everytime I looked at him, his baumbie would tip off to the side of his mouth as he smiled. Avery, on the other hand, responds with a smile quite nicely everytime she hears "pretty girl." Needless to say, the babies were smiling quite a lot this morning.
Now that the stage is set, I can write what I witnessed and found to be so terribly sweet. I know that twins have a tighter relationship than other siblings (though I remember quite clearly how my Anne and Trey were so very close as babies!). But, at some point, I must not have been paying quite enough attention to Avery because she started with some little fussy sounds. I tried to quieten her down but had to feed Abigail her breakfast so she wouldn't lick on the babies' hands. When I returned to the living room (maybe 2 minutes later), there was less fussiness on Avery's part -- Riggs had reached across his boppie and was holding Avery's hand. When that wasn't quite enough to soothe her, he turned his head toward her and uttered some sounds (no, there were NO words . . . just sounds) and she calmed down. She turned her head towards him and made some other sounds for him!!
I was at least as present in the moment as a fly on the wall . . . but for the life of me, I can't figure out what Riggs said to Avery that took her from fussy to gibberish! My guess is this, although Riggs is the "baby brother" he's definitely going to be the one to look out for his big sis! Such sweet babies and its nice to have the privilege to continue watching them grow through all the stages! Darlings they are!
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment