Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Something new every day in every way

On my way home from the office, you guessed it, I just had to stop in to see my darlings. Well, Mommie had a load of baby laundry, fresh out of the dryer, for me to fold while Avery and Riggs napped. But before I got moving on the folding, I checked out the new nursery (formerly Daddy's office but now transformed into a wonderful, closed area for the darlings!! The aroma in the house was that of gumbo and really, with this great weather, there's nothing more perfect for dinner than a bowl of gumbo!! The Bailey girls, Miia and Emma, would soon be over to play with my darlings and Mommie was still pulling things together for dinner.

Napping's not going so well on MDO days. I had just finished folding the clothes when I heard this "nyaaaah" sound rushing out of the nursery. You guessed it, Avery had finished her 15 minute power nap and wanted out of the bed right now!

I scooped her up and we quickly went into the living room so as not to disturb Riggs (who was really napping). Almost by slight of hand, I had her in clean, dry panties (pampers) and we were sitting on the sofa talking, giggling, smooching and squealing while Mommie put away the laudry. What an absolute delight this baby girl is!! Well, Mommie returned with an almost-out-of-the-box toy laptop!! Avery dove into play with it while I tried to free it from the cardboard (packing on this was more difficult to remove than on a real laptop!). She loved the toy and those little pointer fingers were just moving across every key, every light . . . and when it made a new sound, she would turn to look at me? I guess she wanted to get my take on the new sounds??

We had all of four or five minutes with the toy when Riggs woke. Mommie brought him into the living room so he could have his britches changed. It is amazing how those almost featherweight pampers can turn into three pound balls in a little less than an hour! Simply amazing how much babies wee-wee!

With dry bottoms, my darlings and I headed for the nursery for play time. For all readers who have reared your babies, I ask: do you remember the "mine" experience? With both Avery and Riggs sitting (somewhat facing each other), Avery had the toy laptop and Riggs had three or four other lighted making sounds toys in front of him. HE HAD NEVER SEEN THE LAPTOP before because it was new. He reached across his legs and Avery's and pulled the laptop to himself and proud as you please, started pumching the buittons with delight. Avery, meanwhile, has a look of shock and total disbelief on her face! She turned to me as if to say, "Dearie, that's my toy get it back for me!"

When I didn't respond quickly enough, Avery reached across and pulled the toy back into her lap and started playing with it as she had before. An attitude of, "its mine and I get to play with it!" It wasn't a full minute before Riggs pulled the laptop away from Avery again!! She, in turn, pulled it away from Riggs!! I called Mommie into the room so she could see this little tug-of-war going on. We both laughed!

After all, Riggs is the sweet one who is always reaching out to hold Avery's hand and here he was pulling the toy away from her . . . WITH INTENT! Maybe this is what they are learning at school?? I'm sure hoping that this isn't the beginning of that awful stage in child development where my darlings cease sharing their toys!!

With playtime over (had to stop because the tugging as escalating!) Avery and Riggs were strapped into their respective high chairs, bibbed and given puffs for appetizers. The Bailey girls arrived with Auntie and the darlings were thrilled to have little people around. Mommie got the darlings dinner in the bowls and Dearie had to take leave.

It was gumbo weather! I came home and made my own pot of gumbo. My darlings are moving through their little life experiences at a remarkable pace and one filled with wonder and so much love! I just adore having the privilege of seeing them regularly and taking a moment every now and again to blog the experience . . . one day, I sure hope those precious little darlings of mine will know just how special they are to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment